In case you haven’t heard the buzz, today is Earth Day. Here at TELUS, Earth Day is more than just a one-day event. We integrate sustainability into nearly every aspect of our business year round. From careful vendor selection to strategic paper and waste policies, we’re always looking for ways to put the planet first.
That’s why we’re honoured to be recognized today as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for the fifth consecutive year! This is one of the many sustainability awards we receive annually, and we’re proud to be recognized for our deep commitment to the environment. Plus it gives us a great excuse to talk to you about all the fun stuff we’re doing for the environment – and what better day to do that than Earth Day?
And speaking of timing, there are tonnes of cool facts in our newly refreshed 2015 Sustainability Report that just went live today! We hope you’ll check it out, but in honour of our fifth year award win, here are 5 of our proudest accomplishments from the past year that you may not know about:
- We are Canada’s largest lease holder of LEED-certified real estate. Our new corporate home in downtown Vancouver – TELUS Garden – is the first LEED Platinum office tower in Vancouver and uses 80 per cent less energy than buildings of a similar size.
- Our national Work Styles program enables 70 per cent of our team members to work remotely. This reduces our real estate footprint, and therefore carbon emissions from our buildings and commuting by 8,000 tonnes annually.
- In 2015, we launched a wireless device certified pre-owned program which recovered 111,233 returned devices that otherwise would have been sent for e-waste processing.
- The TELUS community garden in Toronto produces 600 lbs of organic produce annually. We love seeing our team members drop by and get enthusiastic about watering, maintaining and harvesting our rooftop garden.
- We’ve enjoyed a long time partnership with Tree Canada and together we create a healthier living environment for Canadians. Through our shared vision, a total of 527,465 trees have been planted and maintained across Canada since 1998.
If you haven’t got the hint by now, we’re an eco-friendly team. In fact, we’ve been reporting on our environmental initiatives for 16 years, paving the way for many other Canadian organizations by launching our first report. We’re passionate about creating a healthier, more sustainable future and believe there is a harmonious relationship between our company, our team and the health and prosperity of our communities. To learn more about what we do, have a peek at our freshly launched 2015 Sustainability Report.