Sustainability can be rewarding. Actually it is rewarding, especially for us today! For the 13th year in a row, we have been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability North American Index (DJSI). The Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index tracks the performance of the top 20% of the 600 largest Canadian and United States companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index that lead the field in terms of sustainability.
You may think after 13 years in a row we are getting used to it? Not even close (I woke up at 4 am to check my email to see if we won). Placement on the Index is an honour and every year it becomes more challenging as corporate sustainability grows worldwide. Only 3 North American telecoms were named to the Index; TELUS, AT&T and Sprint. This year was even more competitive as fixed line and mobility telecoms were grouped into one sector, where in previous years they competed separately.
What does the DJSI ranking group look at? The DJSI ranks us by examining many aspects of our business which include how we:
- Integrate long-term economic, environmental and social aspects in their business strategies while maintaining global competitiveness and brand reputation.
- Meet shareholders’ demands for sound financial returns, long-term economic growth, open communication and transparent financial accounting.
- Foster loyalty by investing in customer relationship management and product and service innovation that focuses on technologies and systems, which use financial, natural and social resources in an efficient, effective and economic manner over the long-term.
- Set the highest standards of corporate governance and stakeholder engagement, including corporate codes of conduct and public reporting.
- Manage human resources to maintain workforce capabilities and employee satisfaction through best-in-class organizational learning and knowledge management practices and remuneration and benefit programs.
One of the benefits of being considered in the DJSI ranking is that we have an independent outside body look at our business in an in-depth way and communicate their assessment to us. Even though we made the Index, we know we have room to become even stronger. One of the great things about being on the Sustainability team at TELUS is that I know we’ll take their observations and commit to doing even better than last year!
Dom Repta is a Senior Sustainability Analyst at TELUS. Follow Dom on Twitter @DomRepta.