Did you know that today, January 28th, is Data Privacy Day? It’s an international event that’s recognized by Canada, the United States and 27 European countries.
Individuals and businesses around the world use the web to communicate, collect, access, store and share information on a daily basis. We depend on technology and enjoy the benefits it offers at home, at school, at work and on the move. But have you ever stopped to ask:
- Who is collecting the information?
- How is it being used or shared?
- Is it really protected from misuse?
Today, to mark Data Privacy Day, the TELUS team recommends that you take action to prevent identify theft and protect your privacy.
What you can do:
- Ask why personal information is being collected
- Check what it is being used for
- Find out who it is being disclosed to, whether it is your own, your family’s, your colleagues’ or a customer’s information
- Ask how it is being protected and how long will it be stored
Learn more about Data Privacy Day 2013 by visiting Data Privacy Day 2013.
If you have questions about TELUS privacy procedures, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Other helpful links:
- Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
- Consumer Identity Theft Check List
- Privacy In Action
- Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre
- Canadian Centre for Child Protection
Getting WISE about smartphone and Internet safety
TELUS has created a unique educational program on Internet and smartphone safety called TELUS WISE (Wise Internet and Smartphone Education). We are working with a number of business customers to offer this important program to their employees. If you are interested in finding out more, please contact email@example.com.