At TELUS, we believe in a symbiotic relationship between our company, our team and our environment. We are committed to Corporate Social Responsibility and achieving sustainable growth as we strive to be a globally leading corporate citizen. Today, I am incredibly proud of our TELUS team. Their focus on contributing positively to the environments in which they live and work has resulted in TELUS being named to the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index for the 14th consecutive year – a feat unequalled by any North American telecommunications or cable company.
What are the Dow Jones Sustainability Indexes?
Following a best-in-class approach, the indexes measure the performance of the world’s sustainability leaders. The DJSI North America Index and respective subsets track the economic, environmental and social performance of the top 20 per cent of the largest Canadian and U.S. companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index that lead the field in terms of sustainability.
- Economic examples include corporate governance, risk and crisis management, customer relationship management and privacy protection
- Environmental examples include climate change, operational eco-efficiency and environmental reporting
- Social examples include corporate citizenship and philanthropy, human capital development and stakeholder engagement
We’ve made great strides to improve our overall score this year to 83/100, up 4 points from last year, ranking us in the 81st percentile. While the telecommunications industry average is 57/100, we’re honoured to be the only Canadian telecom and one of two telecoms to be named to the DJSI North America index.
- TELUS received a score of 100 per cent in both Risk and Crisis Management as well as in Corporate Citizenship and Philanthropy.
- We realized a large improvement in our Environmental Dimension score (up to 80/100, previously 65), while the Economic and Social Dimensions held solid in their rankings, at 87/100 and 79/100, respectively.
Why is it important to TELUS?
The DJSI is an independent assessment of our overall sustainability performance that benchmarks against our peers. This helps us to identify our strengths and opportunities as well as informs our strategy development.
Our dedication to achieving sustainable growth and environmental stewardship is ever-continuing. As we move forward, our commitment to reducing the overall environmental impact of our domestic and international operations remains a focus. I look forward to advancing our sustainability journey with our team and sharing our successes with you. To see our other accomplishments to date, please read our latest Corporate Social Responsibility Report.
Follow Andrea on Twitter at @Andrea_Goertz.